Are you an owner of an Alienware M15R5 laptop and wondering why the light stays on during sleep mode? The Alienware M15R5 laptop is a high-end gaming laptop with exceptional performance and features.
However, the light on the laptop’s cover can be quite annoying if it remains on during sleep mode. In this article, we will explain why the M15R5 Lights On During Sleep mode and how to turn it off.
Enable Sleep Mode Manually
First up, check if Sleep Mode is activated on your computer. Here’s how.
- Press the Windows Key + I to open Windows Settings. Head over to Power under the System tab.
- Click on Screen and sleep and select a specific time to send your computer to sleep.
Configure Lid Controls
Windows has special controls for what happens when you leave your laptop unattended, close the lid, or press the power or sleep button. You can customize these controls according to your liking, which can also fix the problem. Here’s how.
- Press the Windows key and search for Control Panel. Click the corresponding search result.
- Click Power Options.
- Click Choose what closing the lid does from the options on the left.
- Here, you’ll be able to set the following controls for when your laptop is running on battery power or is plugged into a wall socket.
- Do Nothing: Nothing happens when you close the lid and the laptop functions as usual.
- Sleep: The laptop enters sleep mode when the lid is closed. This is, more often than not, the default setting.
- Hibernate: The laptop hibernates when you close the lid.
- Shut Down: The laptop shuts down when you close the lid.
- Click the Save Changes button when you’re done.
Your laptop should go to sleep as soon as you close the lid.
Update Alienware Command Center
There’s a good chance that the lighting issue is because Alienware’s Command Center, responsible for controlling all RGB on your laptop, is malfunctioning. Updating Command Center or even reinstalling it can help resolve the issue.
Check to see if any connected peripherals might be keeping your computer awake. Active peripherals like cameras, printers, and scanners can keep your computer from going to sleep. Try removing any such peripherals and see if that solves the issue.
Disable The Wake Timer
Wake timers are timed events that can wake your computer from sleep. You can try disabling this feature to see if that lets your computer sleep in peace.
- Press the Windows key and search for Power Plans. Click the corresponding search result.
- Click Change advanced power plan settings.
- Under Sleep, expand Allow wake timers and ensure it’s set to Disabled.
Hibernation is the middle ground between putting your computer to sleep and shutting it down entirely. It saves your PC’s current state to the hard disk and shuts it down so you can resume where you left off without waiting for your PC to boot up completely.
Disable Fast Startup
Fast Startup is known to cause a bunch of problems with Windows sleep, hibernation, and the secure boot features. Try disabling fast startup to see if that solves the issue.
Disable Your Screensaver
Your screensaver can also keep your computer from going to sleep as it keeps your PC active. Here’s how to disable screensavers.
- Press the Windows key and search for Screen Savers. Click the corresponding search result.
- In the Screen saver drop-down, select (none) and click Apply.
Your computer should be able to go to sleep mode now.
Run the Windows Power Troubleshooter
Windows 11 has many handy troubleshooters you can use to resolve such problems. In this case, running the power troubleshooter should help.
- Press the Windows key and search for Troubleshoot other problems. Click the corresponding search result.
- Scroll down and run the Power troubleshooter.
Now sit back and let the troubleshooter do its thing.
Remove The CMOS Battery
If all the settings are correct and your computer still won’t go to sleep, the issue might lie with your CMOS battery. Try removing it for about 15 minutes and see if that makes a difference. If not, change the CMOS battery entirely and give it another go.
The Alienware M15R5 laptop is an impressive machine designed for gaming enthusiasts. However, the light on the laptop cover can be quite annoying during sleep mode. In this article, we have explained why the light stays on during sleep mode and provided three solutions to turn it off. By following these solutions, you can enjoy uninterrupted sleep without the light on the laptop cover bothering you.